2019 Luff Award for Exceptional Contributions to Philately
The Luff Award for Exceptional Contributions to Philately has been awarded annually by the American Philatelic Society since 1940, and is one of the highest honors that the Society bestows upon living philatelists. On August 3rd, at the APS yearly convention Stamp Show / National Topical Stamp Show Celebration Banquet, the American Philatelic Society will bestow the 2019 Luff Award for Exceptional Contributions to Philately on Tim Bartshe, in recognition of his commitment to the promotion of philately.
R. Timothy Bartshe - APS Member 133,736 (1984)
Tim Bartshe has given his intellect, his energy and his resources to make philately more welcoming and more pleasant for those who wish to increase their participation in the hobby. He has worked to improve show administration through his volunteer positions with the Rocky Mountain Stamp Show and his column "Stamp Show Administration" in The Philatelic Exhibitor. He has worked tirelessly to expand and improve the exhibiting opportunities at shows by his efforts through Committee on Accreditation of National Exhibitions and Judges (CANEJ) and by expanding the boundaries of exhibiting (such as with postcards). Increased exhibiting opportunities provides increased viewing opportunities as well and his efforts have led to new exhibitors and new attendees at stamp shows. He has been a leader in the judging community and has recruited and mentored judges to ensure a continuity of the judging corps. In addition to his being well known in the exhibiting and judging community, Tim is a philatelic Renaissance Man who beyond serving CANEJ and winning the highest exhibiting awards, has authored a definitive work in his area of specialization in addition to a number of research articles.
Bartshe's philatelic resume includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Initiated, proposed and won acceptance of the Picture Postcards Class and defined judging criteria.
- Authored and presented numerous exhibiting seminars particularly at Stamp Show and AmeriStamp Expo.
- Hosted some 60+ open forums for the American Association of Philatelic Exhibitors at various WSP shows and local/regional shows over the last 13 years.
- Judged at over 80 national shows including every WSP and national Canadian stamp show. Continues to judge at local and regional shows.
- Served on the Board of Directors of the Rocky Mountain Philatelic Library for 5 years.
- Has been on the Rocky Mountain Stamp Show committee as chair of the jury and awards committee for 10 years.
- International expert on Boer Republics (Orange Free State/South African Republic-Transvaal)
- Philatelic Society for Greater Southern Africa, board member since 1989.
- AAPE secretary 2001-07, President 2007-11, board member 2001-2015.
- Board member of UPSS 2000-2012
Bartshe has been recognized by the following philatelic awards:
- Invited to give the 6th annual Harry Sutherland memorial lecture sponsored by the Royal Philatelic Society of Canada 2013
- APS Volunteer Award for national promotion and service 2008
- Chaloner Memorial Trophy which is the highest award bestowed by the Council of Northern California Philatelic Societies for exemplary service to philately 2007.
- Herdenberg Award from AAPE for long and distinguished service to the Society 2007
- Manfred Weinstein Memorial Medallion (2004) for philatelic achievement involving study, research and dissemination of knowledge related to South African Philately
- Accredited judge 1998, jury chair (accredited 2002), literature judge and FIAF judge (2008).
- Seven grand awards and exhibits in seven different exhibiting divisions (Traditional, Postal History, Postal Stationery, Thematic, First Day Cover, Display and Picture Postcard Class).
- Numerous international awards including Large Gold at London 2010.
The Luff Award
The Luff Award was established in 1940 in memory of John N. Luff, APS president from 1907 to 1909, who was considered the most prominent American philatelist of his era.
The APS Luff Awards are available annually for:
- Distinguished Philatelic Research
- Exceptional Contributions to Philately
- Outstanding Service to the American Philatelic Society.
The Luff Awards are presented annually at StampShow, the American Philatelic Society's annual convention and exhibition. Recipients sign the Luff Award Scroll and are presented with engraved rings and individually prepared mementos.
The 2018 winner of the Exceptional Contributions to Philately award was Denise Stotts. A lifelong philatelist, she served as director-at-large for the American Philatelic Society from 2007 to 2011. She also served on the APS Chapter Activities, Ethics and Election Review committees, the Young Philatelic Leaders Fellowship Advisory Board and as local committee chair for APS AmeriStamp Expo 1998. She is a founding member of the American Association of Philatelic Exhibitors and Women Exhibitors.
StampShow 2019 is the biggest stamp convention of the year. Learn more about this year's show.