The 2020 challenge has been underway for nearly two months, and we have already recruited 122 new members so far (two monthly-updated leader boards can be viewed here). We are grateful for the engagement of all members and potential members, and want to remind everyone: we still have 10 months to go and three free life memberships to win before we reach our goal of recruiting 2020 new members by December 31, 2020!
Tips for 2020 Challenge
While everyone helps us achieve our goal, we also want to give you some support to make the process convenient and simple. Here are some recruitment tips that anyone can use:
The American Philatelic Society, the largest stamp collecting organization in the world, has something for every collector. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced philatelist, membership in the APS will help you grow your knowledge and your enjoyment of the hobby. Since 1886, APS members have shared their experience with stamps and postal history, as well as their lifelong accumulations, with fellow collectors around the world. Along the way, these collectors have built friendships to last a lifetime.
What are APS member-exclusive benefits?
The following benefits offer APS members ways to grow their knowledge, expand their collections and connect with other resources in the hobby. APS member benefits include:
Check out all the benefits here!
What resources do we have?
APS has many resources for members to cultivate their interests and learn more about the hobby, including stamp shows, stamp news, dealers and clubs, educational courses, and more.
- Dealer Members: APS Member Dealers are listed with full contact information on Stamps.org. These dealers offer a variety of services (buying and selling stamps, appraisals, and more) and adhere to the APS Code of Ethics.
- Local Club Listings: Hundreds of local stamp clubs have joined with the APS as chapters and nearly 200 groups are APS affiliates. These organizations understand the importance of the philatelic experience and stand ready to help you expand your collecting horizons.
- Show Calendar: Stay updated and mark your calendar for a philatelic show, exhibit, or dealer bourse near you.
And we have more resources for you to explore by clicking here!
Why should you join?
APS has been providing resources and community to its members since 1886. We are an organization with passion and hope for philately. We take care of everyone’s interests and provide our members with comprehensive services. If you are a philatelic enthusiast, we sincerely invite you to join our community today and interact with other collectors. While sharing your philatelic stories with fellows, experts, and other members, you will find your stamp collecting experience enriched in unexpected and unprecedented ways.
Why would you recruit?
APS members are our best recruiters, because you know exactly why membership in the American Philatelic Society is important!
Your personal stories of continuous learning and social experience as a current APS member is exactly what we want you to share with potential members. With your efforts, we will continue to grow; not just the APS, but the whole hobby.
Plus, the APS gives members $5 every time you successfully recruit a new member. Don’t wait to put a real dent in your annual membership fee!
Why join/recruit now?
“Now” is always the earliest and best time to start a new adventure, especially when the APS offers the chance to win free life memberships as part of the 2020 Challenge. If not now, when? Here are some details about the contest to remember:
- Members: For every new member you recommend, your name will be entered into a drawing to win a free life membership.
- Dealers and Chapters: For every successful new recruitment, the dealer or chapter name will be entered into a separate Dealer/Chapter drawing for a free life membership.
- New Member: All new members recruited in 2020 will be entered into a drawing for a free life membership!
The year-long contest will end on December 31, 2020. Life Membership drawings will occur at the General Membership meeting during the Spring Meeting at St. Louis Stamp Expo (March 19-21, 2021).
Where to recruit?
Opportunities to recruit new members are available in many places: at local stamp shows, other local events, libraries, post offices, community centers, youth clubs, senior centers, and more.
Where to find interested, potential members?
“... Interests are not discovered through introspection. Instead, interests are triggered by interactions with the outside world.” ― Angela Duckworth
At the APS, we believe that there are several reasons why people join organizations, but the most obvious reason is that they were asked. Thus, everyone around you may be interested in philately, regardless of age, gender, belief, and identity. Potential members are only waiting for you to ignite their interests in the hobby with a simple question or invitation!
Who to recruit?
APS is an inclusive organization and we would like to serve all interested members.
Stamp collecting is a family activity, so you can invite your family members. We have programs to educate younger generations through philately, and we call on students and teenagers to join. We embrace adults who have abandoned philately for various reasons but have always dreamed of returning to the organization. We also want to serve older people who have been using stamps and letters to communicate throughout their lives.
IAnyone in your community who wants to explore the world or share their stories is the person we are willing to recruit. APS is a big family, and each unique member makes us more diverse and stronger.
What recruiting tools do you have?
We do have advice for you and encourage you to check out the recruiting tools at your disposal. See these tips about how to recruit new members for the APS!
- New member applications received from January 1 to December 31, 2020, will be valid for entry.
- The following membership categories will be eligible: Regular, Associate, Junior, Chapter, and Young Professional membership (beginning April 1, 2020).
- Gift memberships must be completed and accepted within the time limits of the contest.
- Reinstated memberships are not eligible for entry, but reinstated members may be eligible if they recruit new members.
- New member applications must be accepted – rejected member applications will not be entered.
- Only members in good standing will be eligible to win the free life membership.
- APS Chapters are eligible to participate. If a chapter wins, we encourage awarding to a chapter member.
- Members of the APS Board of Directors, APRL Board of Trustees, and APS employees are not eligible to win a free life membership.
- Current APS Life Members are eligible to participate and win the drawing. If a Life Member is chosen as a drawing winner, they will instead receive a $750 APS credit or may donate to the APS or APRL.
Whether you are a beginning collector or have collected for years, we welcome you to join the American Philatelic Society and discover the many benefits of membership. Join now.
Stay Active, Start Recruiting!
The APS will host two leader boards, updated monthly, for the Individual and Dealer challenges, as well as a regular update towards our goal of 2,020 new members. Stay tuned for updates on the challenge, recruitment advice from the American Philatelic Society’s best advocates, Life Member profiles, and more: https://stamps.org/join-now/2020-challenge