The Volunteer Recognition Awards are presented to recognize the outstanding efforts of our volunteers at national and local levels; and to recognize our younger members whose outstanding leadership is crucial to our future.
The awards have been named in memory of Nick Carter who helped to establish them. Nick felt it was important to recognize those unsung heroes who contribute their talents, time and energies to benefit stamp collecting and the Society.
There are four categories for the awards:
- National Promotion/Service - for outstanding service and innovation to the hobby on the national level; requires at least five years of service – up to five awards each year;
- Local Promotion/Service - for outstanding service and innovation to the hobby on the local level; requires at least five years of service – up to ten awards each year;
- Outstanding Young Adult Philatelist (ages 25-40) - for outstanding service and leadership by an individual age 25-40; requires at least five years of service – one award per year; and
- Outstanding Young Philatelist (ages 15-24) - for outstanding service and leadership by an individual age 15-24; requires at least three years of service – one award per year.
Awards are presented each year at the APS General Meeting held at StampShow in August. If honorees are unable to attend the show, other arrangements are made for an official presentation. List of Previous Winners
- All nominations must be submitted in writing - Nomination Form available in .pdf format.
- Nominations considered but not selected in a given year may be kept for a total of three years and will be considered in subsequent years. However, nominees may again be nominated or may be reinstated by a subcommittee member for further consideration.
- Self nominations for a Volunteer Recognition Award or a nomination by an immediate family member of a nominee will not be considered.
- Nominations may be submitted throughout the year.
- Five or more years of service (except for youth award).
- Preference will be given to nominees who are from the USA and its territories.
- Nominees must be living when nominated.
- Membership in the American Philatelic Society is not a prerequisite to being a nominee.
- Board members of the APS and APRL will not be eligible for consideration while holding an elective office.
- Staff members and Luff Award winners are not eligible for the awards.
- Each award may be won only once.
- National winners may not subsequently win the Local Award.
- A period of five years must elapse before a winner in one category may be selected in a different category.
- A person employed in a philatelically related profession is eligible for any of the awards provided that the volunteer efforts were outside professional endeavors.