StampStore Search Tips
All StampStore searches are limited to 1,500 items, here are tips to help you locate items to add to your collection.
The StampStore search screen is broken down into two Steps
Step 1 - select your search criteria, and Step 2 - Select how to sort the results!
To begin, most searches will either be a "Country/Scott #" or "Keyword" search with additional criteria selected beneath.
Country and Scott Catalog Search
If you know the Country and Scott Catalog Number range of items you are trying to locate this is the best way to conduct a search. The Country field is a drop down menu and if you begin typing the first letter of the country of interest it will automatically drop to that area in the dropdown menu.
Keyword search is a great option for the topical collector to locate items. For example, if you collect birds on stamps - enter "bird" in the Keyword field and hit search. Note that we suggested just the word "bird" - you can enter multiple keywords or plurals but it will limit your search to items that have all the words as typed. So we recommend that you try simple, individual words which will also display plurals and other forms starting with the word.
Of course there are lots of bird stamps and you will exceed the 1,500 view limit - so hit "refine search" and add additional criteria such as a specific country, stamp type, used/unused etc.
Refine Search Results
You can narrow your search by selecting additional field criteria such as the following - however, don't fill in every field or your results may be very limited:
- Stamp Type - offers a specialized collector the ability to find items by Scott Prefixes such as Airmails, Revenues, Proofs, etc.
- Condition - narrows the search to items that are either "On Cover", "Used", or "Unused".
- Configuration - narrows the search to items that are "Plateblocks", "Souvenir Sheets", "Complete Sets", etc.
- Cover Type - narrows the search if you are looking for specific types of covers such as FDCs, Event Covers, or Postal History.
- Hinge Type - allows you to select items that are hinged (H), never hinged (NH), no gum (NG), light hinge (LH), hinge remnant (HR).
- Era - is particularly helpful for large countries, You can select to see stamps from Pre-1900, 1900-1940, and After 1940.
- Sale Price - restricts the search to within a price range that you specify.
- Alt Catalog Name & Alt Catalog # - few sellers will list a different catalog name and number other than the Scott Catalog. You may search on these but results may be very limited as not everyone lists this.
- Stamp Filter - allows you to view "All", "Newest", "Reduced" or "Caution" items. Note: the Caution symbol indicates that the items are either common for forgeries, reprints or misidentifications; check Scott Catalog and consider formal expertization.
- Seller ID - Buyers search for items being offered by a particular seller. When searching for stamps of interest to you by selecting Keyword, Country, etc. and you find stamps you like, you may want to see what else that particular seller has available for the search criteria you just entered. Simply jot down the Seller ID from that stamp, click the "Refine Search" button and enter the Seller ID in the very last field of the search page. Now when you click search again you will see only that sellers material for the particular area you were searching. Also, when returning to the store, if you want to see if that seller listed new items, you can leave all search fields blank and enter Seller ID at the bottom of the search page and select to sort by "Newest First" in step 2.
Sort - once you have filled in your search criteria in Step 1 you can now select the sort order - "Catalog Number", "Newest/Oldest", "Price".
Search - hit the "Search" button when you are ready
When search results are displayed you are able to enter how many items you wish to view on each page. However, when entering a new number other than the default of 20, you must use your mouse to click on the word "Update".
If you find no results or too few results, simply click on the red "Refine" button to widen your search by choosing less criteria under Step 1.
Always make certain to click on the red "Reset" button under Step 2 when starting a new search because otherwise your old search criteria will remain.
If you wish to bookmark a search you can do so by clicking on the blue “Bookmark this Search”. You can save up to 25 searches at one time. To delete bookmarks, visit MyAPS, MyAccount, and along the right column you can delete the searches.