“From legendary poet Walt Whitman to the entertainment genius of Gregory Hines to the majestic beauty of our Wild and Scenic Rivers, this program is diverse and wide ranging and tells America’s story on stamps.”
-- USPS Stamp Services Executive Director, Mary-Anne Penner
Original post date: 11/20/18
It’s going to be a Happy Thanksgiving for stamp collectors! Today the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) offered a sneak peek of their planned new issues for 2019.
Stamps are set to include:
- Hearts Blossom - RELEASE DATE: 1/10/19 in San Juan, PR. the latest stamp in the USPS Love series
- Year of the Boar - RELEASE DATE: 1/17/19 in Houston, TX. the 12th and final stamp in the Celebrating the Lunar New Year series
- Gregory Hines - RELEASE DATE: 1/28/19 in New York, NY. honoring the versatile performer who danced, acted and sang on Broadway with the 42nd stamp in the Black Heritage series
- Cactus Flowers - RELEASE DATE: 2/15/19 in Mesa, AZ. celebrating the beauty of 10 different cacti
- Alabama Statehood - RELEASE DATE: 2/23/19 in Huntsville, AL. commemorating the bicentennial of the 22nd state to join the United States.
- Marvin Gaye - the “Prince of Soul” set to be honored on the newest stamp in the Music Icons series
- USS “Missouri” - America’s last battleship to be commemorated on the 75th anniversary of its commissioning.
- Post Office Murals - featuring five different murals added to Post Office walls during era of the Great Depression.
- US Flag - honoring an enduring symbol of our nation
- Walt Whitman - the famous poet and author will be honored with the 32rd issue in the Literary Arts series from USPS
- Frogs - hop along with four digital illustrations of North American frogs
- State and County Fairs - the latest se-tenant stamps illustrating the fun of America’s state and county fairs
- Woodstock - celebrating the 50th anniversary of the legendary Woodstock Music and Art Fair held in August 1969
- Winter Berries - highly detailed illustrations of 4 of winter’s “small yet vibrant offerings”
- Joshua Tree - celebrating the beauty of the Joshua tree in the Mojave and Sonoran Deserts
- Wild and Scenic Rivers - 12 photographs of American waterways that run through natural landscapes
- Bethesda Fountain - the newest Priority Express Mail stamp commemorating one of Central Park’s most iconic structures.
- Coral Reefs - new postcard stamps celebrating the natural wonder of coral reefs
- The California Dogface Butterfly - originally announced for 2017, this stamp will be the 7th non-machineable butterfly stamp
This is a developing story. Please check back later for more deatils of the 2019 US new stamp issues. Please view the offical USPS Newsroom page (https://about.usps.com/newsroom/national-releases/2018/pr18_095.htm) for more information including stamp artists, designers and art directors.